Anglican Diocese of Sydney donates $1 million to 'no' campaign in same-sex marriage poll

David Virtue david at virtueonline.org
Thu Oct 12 17:19:44 EDT 2017

Anglican Diocese of Sydney donates $1 million to 'no' campaign in
same-sex marriage poll
Glenn Davies is the Archbishop of Sydney in the Anglican Church of
Australia

By Harry Farley
https://www.christiantoday.com/
October 9, 2017

The Anglican Diocese of Sydney has donated $1 million to fund the
campaign against same-sex marriage in Australia.

The Archbishop of Sydney, Glenn Davies, confirmed on Monday his heavily
conservative diocese, the largest in the country, had backed the 'no'
campaign in Australia's forthcoming postal survey on gay marriage.

'The stakes are high and the cost is high,' he told a meeting of all the
churches in Sydney on Monday. 'Yet the cause is just and it is a
consequence of our discipleship to uphold the gift of marriage as God
has designed it -- a creation ordinance for all people.'

He added he would 'make no apology' for urging Australians to vote 'no'
in the poll, which was commissioned by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull
to advise parliament but is not legally binding.

'I consider the consequences of removing gender from the marriage
construct will have irreparable consequences for our society, for our
freedom of speech, our freedom of conscience and freedom of religion,'
he told the synod. 'It is disingenuous to think otherwise.'

He added: 'We find ourselves being moved in a more libertarian direction
under the influence of those who want to abandon the mores of the past.

'These permissive forces who espouse the virtue of tolerance are seeking
to impose restrictions upon those who wish to maintain the values on
which our nation has been founded,' he said according to The Australian.

'This has become nowhere more apparent than in the current debate
surrounding the postal survey on same-sex marriage.'

Moving on to discuss abortion and assisted suicide, Dr Davies said he
had written to the area's parliamentarians on behalf of all the churches
to oppose any attempts at liberalisation.

But the Anglican Church of Australia is split on the issue with the
newly elected first female Anglican Archbishop, Kay Goldsworthy,
strongly hinting that she personally backs same-sex marriage. She said
she has an 'inclusive' approach to the issue but respects the wider
position of the Church.

Both sides in Australia's increasingly toxic debate over gay marriage
claim to have been outspent by their opponents.

Executive director of the Equality Campaign, Tiernan Brady, said the
donation was evidence that 'opponents of equality have radically
outspent the Yes side'.

He told The Australian: 'But what they have in buckets of cash, we make
up with in hundreds of thousands of Australians making the case for a
fairer, more just and inclusive society.'

However despite repeated claims from the Yes side they were being
outspent, it emerged last month Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce also
personally donated $1 million to the campaign in support of same sex
marriage.