Four Continuing Anglican Bodies Establish Full Communion (Communio in sacris)

David Virtue david at virtueonline.org
Fri Oct 6 20:41:00 EDT 2017

Four Continuing Anglican Bodies Establish Full Communion (Communio in
sacris)

By David W. Virtue, DD
www.virtueonline.org
October 6, 2017

Four Continuing Anglican bodies made history this week, 40 years after
they broke away from The Episcopal Church over the ordination of women.

In Atlanta this week, The Anglican Catholic Church, The Anglican Church
in America, The Anglican Province of America and The Diocese of the Holy
Cross signed a Communio in sacris establishing full communion with each
other.

The ordination of women priests in the United States in 1976 was the
lightening rod issue that led to the founding of the Continuing Anglican
Movement in 1977. Its Affirmation of St. Louis declared the ordination
of women (by the Episcopal Church in the USA and the Anglican Church of
Canada) to be a matter of schism and to have caused a break with
apostolic succession.

In their statement this week they declared:

We acknowledge each other to be orthodox and catholic Anglicans in
virtue of our common adherence to the authorities accepted by and
summarized in The Affirmation of St. Louis in the faith of the Holy
Tradition of the Undivided catholic church and of the seven Ecumenical
Councils.

We recognize in each other in all essentials the same faith; the same
sacraments; the same moral teaching; and the same worship; likewise, we
recognize in each other the same Holy Orders of bishops, priests, and
deacons in the same Apostolic Succession, insofar as we all share the
episcopate conveyed to the Continuing Churches in Denver in January 1978

We welcome members of all of our Churches to Holy Communion and
parochial life in any and all of the congregations of our Churches; and,

We pledge to pursue full, institutional, and organic union with each
other, in a manner that respects tender consciences, builds consensus
and harmony, and fulfills increasingly our Lord's will that His Church
be united; and,

We pledge also to seek unity with other Christians, including those who
understand themselves to be Anglican, insofar as such unity is
consistent with the essentials of Catholic faith, order, and moral
teaching

The following signatures included:

The Most Rev. Brian R. Marsh
The Most Rev. Mark Haverland