Justin Welby unable to give 'straight answer' on whether gay sex is sinful

David Virtue david at virtueonline.org
Fri Oct 6 20:39:24 EDT 2017

Justin Welby unable to give 'straight answer' on whether gay sex is
sinful
Archbishop admits he is struggling with issue, in interview where he
also expresses hope of not having to oversee Queen's funeral

Justin Welby said the division within the global Anglican communion on
gay sex was irreconcilable. Photograph: Victoria Jones/PA

By Harriet Sherwood Religion correspondent
https://www.theguardian.com/
October 2, 2017

Justin Welby has said he struggles with the question of whether gay sex
is a sin and acknowledged that the gulf between conservative and liberal
Anglicans on the issue is "irreconcilable".

In an interview by Alastair Campbell for GQ magazine, the archbishop of
Canterbury also said the Queen was "one of the most extraordinary people
I have ever met" and that he hoped he would not have to preside over her
funeral.

Welby, who came under fire at the weekend by survivors of sexual abuse
for his suggestion that the Church of England had acted with integrity,
is likely to disappoint LGBTI campaigners within the church over his
"cop-out" on gay sex.

Asked by Campbell if gay sex was sinful, Welby said: "You know very well
that is a question I can't give a straight answer to. Sorry, badly
phrased there. I should have thought that one through."

Pressed on why he could not answer, the archbishop said: "Because I
don't do blanket condemnation and I haven't got a good answer to the
question. I'll be really honest about that. I know I haven't got a good
answer to the question. Inherently, within myself, the things that seem
to me to be absolutely central are around faithfulness, stability of
relationships and loving relationships."

of same-sex relationships, Welby said: "I know it could be. I am also
aware -- a view deeply held by tradition since long before Christianity,
within the Jewish tradition -- that marriage is understood invariably as
being between a man and a woman. Or, in various times, a man and several
women, if you go back to the Old Testament.

"I know that the church around the world is deeply divided on this in
some places, including the Anglicans and other churches, not just us,
and we are -- the vast majority of the church is -- deeply against gay
sex."

He added: "I am having to struggle to be faithful to the tradition,
faithful to the scripture, to understand what the call and will of God
is in the 21st century and to respond appropriately with an answer for
all people -- not condemning them, whether I agree with them or not --
that covers both sides of the argument. And I haven't got a good answer,
and I am not doing that bit of work as well as I would like."

Asked if he was trying to reconcile Anglican church leaders in places
such as Uganda and more liberal churches principally in the UK and north
America, Welby said: "It is irreconcilable."

Archbishop of Canterbury accused of hypocrisy by sexual abuse survivors

But, he added, homophobia was sinful "because you are hating
individuals. I don't think it is sinful to say that you disagree with
gay sex. But to express that by way of hatred for people is absolutely
wrong in the same way as misogyny or racism is wrong."

cop-out", Welby responded: "Yes. I am copping out because I am
struggling with the issue."

The divisions within the global Anglican communion over same-sex
relationships will be central to a five-day meeting of primates in
Canterbury, which starts on Monday.

The meeting is expected to impose de facto sanctions on the Scottish
episcopal church, which accepted same-sex marriage this summer and
conducted its first same-sex wedding last week.

In January 2016, Anglican primates said the US episcopal church must
face consequences for a similar move. It was barred from membership of
representational bodies and excluded from decisions on policy for three
years. The Canadian church is expected to follow suit on same-sex
marriage.

Campaigners for LGBTI equality believe there has been a sea change in
the past year within the Church of England in attitudes to same-sex
relationships, and most Anglicans now support a more inclusive church.

In his GQ interview, Welby also said he hoped he would not have to
preside over the Queen's funeral. "It's enormous whoever does it -- God
willing someone else -- because it is an enormous public event. But as a
parish priest, at every funeral you think about the enormity of it.

"I don't want to get into details because it is not something I want to
talk about, but the Queen is the most extraordinary person, one of the
most extraordinary people I have ever met, in every possible way. When
it [her funeral] happens it will be the most extraordinary historic
moment."