Iranian Bishop Writes Letter of Resignation to Rowan Williams

david at virtueonline.org david at virtueonline.org
Fri Jul 9 16:48:06 EDT 2010

Iranian Bishop Writes Letter of Resignation to Rowan Williams
"The Anglican Communion had ceased to be a representative body of non-Western churches," says bishop

The following is Bishop Azad Marshall's to Rowan Williams
July 4, 2010

After much prayerful consideration I hereby submit my resignation from the standing committee of the ACC for the following reasons.

Both my first ACC meeting in Kingston and the last meetings in London of the executive committee left me with a tremendous sense of sadness to realise that, while a large part of the Anglican Communion was no longer a part of the Communion and had left in order to uphold the integrity and fidelity of the scriptures and their application, there was hardly any concern being shown to bring them back to the fold.

Indeed it became abundantly clear to me that the Anglican Communion had ceased to be a representative body of non-Western churches.

Its main concern was how to maintain a relationship with TEC and other churches in the Western world who are going in the same direction, who have repeatedly defied the communion's stand on on human sexuality.

In consecrating the Rev Mary Glasspool as Bishop of Los Angeles, TEC have completely demonstrated that they have no intention of moving from their stand on this issue.

I've felt lonely and voiceless among those who put little or no value on the orthodox view of integrity and fidelity of the interpretation of the scriptures and their application.

I represent a diocese where our people have paid a great price for upholding the truth of the Scriptures. When I see how they have stood by their Lord I feel that I cannot participate in another ACC when I have no confidence that my presence will make any difference. And neither does it honour those who have died to uphold Scripture.

I remain prayerfully faithful to the one communion where God's word and its authority are recognised as supreme for our correction and instruction. Be assured of my continued prayerful support for you, that you may be enabled to bring a uniting and a healing in the torn communion as you lead us.

The Rt. Rev Azad Marshall
Bishop of Iran

cc Kenneth Kearon
ACC

Tip of the hat to Ruth Gledhill of the London Times