Southeast Asian Archbishop reflects on terrorist attack

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 5 01:10:57 EDT 2001

Southeast Asian Archbishop Yong Ping Chung, reflects on terrorist
attack

Text of letter from Bishop Yong to AMIA Bishop Murphy and ECUSA
Bishop Frank Griswold following terrorist attacks on the United States

Dear Chuck,

Greetings in the Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ!

May the peace of Our Lord be with you. I have just returned from the
Interior after a speaking engagement for our Bahasa Malaysia Church
Leaders Conference, and heard of the devastating tragedy in the U.S.A.

I hasten to send you this note to assure you of our prayers at this
time of crisis. I am shocked and very much saddened by this act of
aggression.

My heart pains for you and specially for the families of the victims.
Only the love of God can sustain us. We have mobilized our people to
pray for you, your people and your country. We join you to mourn for
the thousands who suffered and died because of the evil action of
sinful men.

We pray that even in such dark hours of your nation,
Christian leaders and Christian churches, especially those are in AMiA
will rise up, hold fast to the faith and bring hope and comfort to the
people in your country. In a world of such hatred, may each of you
bring the love of Christ and speak and minister into the situation. May
the abiding presence of the Lord God be with you all in such a tragic
time.

May you shine for Jesus. Are there any special requests for
prayers? How can we help?

With our love and prayers,
Archbishop Yong Ping Chung

P.S. 1.Please find enclosed my condolence letter to Frank
Griswold.

2. Please forward this letter to all the other Bishops in AMiA

Text of letter from Bishop Yong to Bishop Griswold following terrorist
attacks on the United States September 13, 2001

Dear Frank,

May the peace of Our Lord Jesus Christ be with you especially at this
time! I write to express my deep shock and unspeakable distress and
sadness for the tragedy that was caused obviously by human hatred.

I refer to the suicidal air strikes on the Twin Towers of New York
World Trade Center, the Pentagon Building and the plane crash near
Pittsburgh. As a result, thousands of innocent people suffered and
died.

May we send our heart felt sympathy and condolence to you and to
your people at this time of National disaster. We have mobilized our
people to pray for you, your church, your people and your country. We
pray that even in such dark hours in your nation, you and all Christian
leaders in your country will be able to have the deep sense of God's
abiding presence and will continue to stand firm in the faith in Jesus
Christ.

We pray that you all will be able to join together to minister
to your people at such hour of crisis. At the time of tragedy I was in
the Interior, speaking in our Bahasa Malaysia Church Leaders
Conference.

Therefore I was unaware of the situation. I hasten now to send you this
note to let you know that you, and all your people are very much in our
prayers.

May God bless you,

Yong Ping Chung
The Primate,
The Province of the Anglican Church in South East Asia.