Friends hail release of Virginia Woman from Taliban by Arlo Wagner

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 20 00:55:43 EST 2001

Friends hail release of Virginia woman

By Arlo Wagner
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Friends and family members across the country cheered Wednesday night
when news broke that Heather Mercer, a 24-year-old Vienna, Va.,
resident, had been rescued, along with seven other Western hostages,
from the Taliban in Afghanistan.

"They were really fearful for her," said Mindi Hardison Adams, who has
known Miss Mercer since 1994 and 1995, when they were good friends at
Vienna's James Madison High School.

Yellow ribbons, symbolizing a happy homecoming, hung yesterday from
lampposts and trees in the 9600 block of Counselor Drive, where Miss
Mercer grew up and where her father resides.

Mrs. Adams, who now lives in Minneapolis, said she had been in
contact through e-mail with Miss Mercer's father, John Mercer, who had
gone to Pakistan, Afghanistan's neighbor, to try to help his daughter.

"I heard. It's wonderful," said Cynthia Rahal, sponsor of Madison's
Fellowship of Christian Athletes, of which Miss Mercer was a member.

"We were quite elated when we heard she might have been released,"
said Betty Rahal, mother of Cynthia and director of Christian Education
at Vienna Presbyterian Church.

"We'll have a huge celebration," said Jimmy Seibert, pastor of
Antioch Community Church near Baylor University in Waco, Texas,
anticipating the return of graduates Miss Mercer and Dayna Curry, the
two Americans among the group of eight international aid workers jailed
by the Taliban on Aug. 3 on charges of trying to convert Muslims to
Christianity.

"Right now, they are in the embassy in Islamabad [Pakistan]. They
showered, had a good meal, and got their hair done," Mr. Seibert said.

The eight were workers for Shelter Now International, a
humanitarian-aid group based in Germany.

Mr. Seibert, in contact with an associate pastor in Pakistan, said
the detainees will be flown in a couple of days to Central Europe to be
debriefed. They will remain there until after Thanksgiving, then return
to their homes, after which they will head for Waco.

Their imprisonment became especially dangerous after September 11,
when Osama bin Laden, believed to be hiding in Afghanistan, was accused
of masterminding the attacks on the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon. The U.S.-backed Northern Alliance began a war in Afghanistan
against the Taliban, raising fears that Miss Mercer and her companions
might be used as hostages.

Mr. Seibert said yesterday that the Taliban locked Miss Mercer, Miss
Curry, the two Australians and the four Germans in a metal container
and told them to write notes to secure money for their release. When
the Taliban guards fled before the advance of opposition forces, the
prisoners were released.

Mrs. Adams has not seen Miss Mercer since March 3, when Miss Mercer
was a bridesmaid at her wedding in Vienna. Miss Mercer went to
Afghanistan soon afterward. She was arrested three months later.

"She had no intention of coming home for three years," said Miss
Rahal, who last saw Miss Mercer on Feb. 9. "She was totally committed
to serving God and serving others."

The commitment began in Vienna. Miss Rahal said she would pick up
Miss Mercer at 5:45 a.m. Wednesdays and meet Mrs. Adams, then Mindi
Hardison, for breakfast at McDonald's next to the high school. She said
they would discuss the Bible, accountability, discipleship and
fellowship.

As result of those commitments, Vienna Presbyterian Church held a
prayer service for Miss Mercer Oct. 22 and plans to continue with a
service, now one of thanksgiving, at 7 p.m. on Dec. 3.

Her mother, Deborah Oddy, divorced and remarried, cried in her
Lewiston, N.Y., home when she learned of Miss Mercer's release.

"The news [of Miss Mercer's release] trickled in," said Madison
Principal Mark A. Merrell, adding, "We're real, real happy about it.
We're going to let the whole community know that everything has turned
out really well."