Devotional - Follow Him

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Thu May 31 01:49:21 EDT 2001

DEVOTIONAL  -  FOLLOW HIM

"Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is
that to you? You must follow me." - John 21:22

Maria Kutschera was born on a train enroute to Vienna on January 26,
1905. She was raised an atheist and her first exposure to Christ was in
college when Father Kronseder preached the gospel. Convicted by his
words, she gave her heart to Christ and entered a convent intent on
becoming a nun. She became the governess to the nine children of
Captain George von Trapp. Maria never returned to the convent and
married the Captain on November 26, 1927. This is the story that has
been made immortalized by "The Sound of Music."

Rosemaria, one of the Von Trapp children, has this to say about her
parent's decision to flee Austria in 1938: "Only yesterday I talked to
high school students - sophomores - who were doing research papers on
the Holocaust of Hitler in Germany. They wanted me to talk about the
Nazis. I told them that Hitler gave us a symbol of a cross with hooks
on it. But our Christian faith gives a symbol of a cross that brings
freedom and resurrection. The world, you know, offers us a glossy cross
with hooks in it. My father and mother had to make a choice. They chose
the cross of Christ."

Once you personally meet Jesus Christ, He asks one thing of you:
"Follow Me." Are you following the Lord in all that you do? Today in
prayer, thank Christ for the freedom He brings to life and follow Him
in all that you do.

"What can the world offer you without Jesus? To be without Jesus is
hell most grievous, to be with Jesus is to know the sweetness of
heaven." - Thomas a Kempis

God's Word: "The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding
Philip, he said to him, 'Follow me.'" - John 1:43

By Peter Kennedy