St. John's Vestry Letter to Dixon

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Thu May 24 23:52:46 EDT 2001

ST. JOHN'S VESTRY LETTER TO DIXON
"Leave is to Heal the Wounds, Divisions and Pain you have caused"

Special Report

By David W. Virtue

Senior Warden Barbara Sturman in a letter to Washington Suffragan
Bishop Jane Dixon, said she cannot allow Fr. Edwards to agree to her
demands even if he wanted to do so.

"We are saddened that your greatest concern seems to be over the
building that is our parish home. It has been a place of worship for us
as loyal Episcopalians for generations. The cemetery surrounding it
contains the mortal remains of those generations who have gone on to
the larger life. It is a place where we hope, likewise, to rest within
the sound of hymns and the preaching of the Gospel. It is a center of
our spiritual life to which we have called a good priest to continue
our work and witness. Your attempt to turn the discussion of that call
towards an attempt to gain control of our parish assets is highly
distressing, but very revealing. We will not, as Vestry, allow it."

"Beyond an effort to gain control of our church proper, your letter to
Fr. Edwards asks him to do things he cannot do and to violate his
conscience. You continue to try to control and manipulate our parish to
your own ends. We are trying to meet the needs of the parish for a
Christian life that is witness to the traditional Anglican faith, a
faith shared by the bulk of our communion. It appears that we are being
persecuted for a faith life that does not meet with your personal
approval. We must say to you out of charity that you are wrong to do
this to our parish."

"Fr. Edwards' letter of May 23 provides all of the assurances you
should need. We ask you now to leave us alone. Leave us to heal the
wounds, divisions and pain that you have caused these last months.
Leave us with our Rector to be a faithful Anglican witness in the
Diocese of Washington."