Nine Days of Prayer need "serious attention" says Dr. Carey

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Thu May 24 01:32:45 EDT 2001

Nine Days of Prayer need "serious attention" says Dr Carey

[ACNS] The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Revd George Carey, told
ACNS that he hoped the clergy and people of the Anglican
Communion would give serious attention to the Nine Days of Prayer
called for by the recent Primates Meeting.

Archbishop Carey said, "The recent news from the Sudan and the plight
of our fellow Anglicans in that country continues to emphasize the need
for our being a voice for the voiceless. I am also very concerned about
the conflict in the Holy Land and the marginalisation the Christian
community faces. The staff of St Georges cathedral and College,
Jerusalem need our support in many ways at this time."

Archbishop Carey said, "I pray that between Ascension Day and Pentecost
we will increase our awareness of the situations many face in our
Communion, and pray that God will give us the will and wisdom to do
something about it."

A list of intercessions gathered from the Primates will appear on the
Call to Prayer pages as soon as possible. This will be designed for a
simple half-sheet insert for your parish bulletins and magazines and
for use in services over the Nine Days of Prayer.

Dates are between Ascension Day May 24 to Pentecost June 3.