DEVOTIONAL - IF YOU LOVE ONE ANOTHER

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Mon May 21 00:43:31 EDT 2001

DEVOTIONAL - IF YOU LOVE ONE ANOTHER

"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one
another." - John 13:35

In February 1883, the Episcopal minister the Reverend John Roberts
arrived by stagecoach at a small outpost in central Wyoming. Soon after
Roberts arrived, the son of the Shoshone chief was shot by a soldier in
a brawl. Chief Washakie vowed to avenge his son's death by killing the
first white man he saw.  Since this might mean the start of a long,
bloody war, young Roberts decided to take action. Seeking out
Washakie's tepee, some fifteen miles away in the mountains, he stood
outside and called the chief's name.  When Washakie appeared, Roberts
opened his shirt.

"I have heard of your vow," he said, "Kill me instead."

The chief was amazed and motioned him into his tent.  "How do you have
so much courage?" he asked.

John Roberts then told him about Christ, His death, His teachings and
His love.

They talked for hours. When John left, the Chief of the Shoshones had
renounced his vow to kill and resolved to become a Christian.

Washakie had seen love in action. John Roberts ministered faithfully
for 66 years sharing the love of Jesus Christ with the Shoshone and
Arapaho Indians.

Love is action and it means taking a risk. But the love of Christ that
we show to others brings glory to the Lord. Do you love others? Today
in prayer, ask the Lord "Who can you love for Him today?"

"To love another person is to see the face of God." - Victor Hugo

God's Word: "Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love
one another." - 1 John 4:11

By Peter Kennedy