Devotional - Accepting the Truth Sets You Free

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Sun May 13 22:23:43 EDT 2001

DEVOTIONAL - ACCEPTING THE TRUTH SETS YOU FREE

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." - John
8:32

In September 1942, Congress approved $50 million for the construction
of POW camps in the United States. Two months later the United States
invaded North Africa, and in 1943 German POWs began pouring in by boat.

Nationwide, some 371,000 prisoners were kept in 500 camps throughout
the United States. Treated extremely well, many of the prisoners gained
weight and were afraid to write home because the conditions in the
camps were better than those in Germany.

Ninety-five percent of the German prisoners agreed to work in America's
factories and on its farms saving more than $100 million in prisoner
upkeep. Following Germany's surrender, POWs were required to watch
documentary films of Nazi concentration camp atrocities. Some prisoners
watched unmoved or dismissed the emaciated bodies as German victims of
Russian plunder. When 2,000 POWs were surveyed, only one-third of them
would concede under questioning that the scenes were real.

But the films had a greater impact than many would admit. Repulsed by
what they had seen in the films and witnessed in Germany, a thousand
German POWs at Camp Butner, North Carolina decided to burn their
uniforms in protest over the Nazi atrocities and to break from the
past. Many prisoners after release raised money for Nazi victims.

When we come to know Jesus Christ, we learn the truth of His Holiness
and our own sinfulness. He sets us free from our sinful past to live
without restraint for Him. Are you standing firm against the tyranny of
sin? Today in prayer, thank Christ for freedom from sin that is only
found in Him.

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay, Fast bound in sin and nature's night.
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray, I woke, the dungeon flamed and
light. My chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and
followed Thee." - Charles Wesley

God's Word: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm,
then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of
slavery." - Galatians 5:1

By Peter Kennedy