Seventh Bishop Weighs in on Parish's Call of Edwards

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Sun May 13 20:45:35 EDT 2001

SEVENTH BISHOP WEIGHS IN ON PARISH'S CALL OF EDWARDS

Special Report

By David W. Virtue

A seventh bishop, the Rt. Rev. Paul V. Marshall, Diocese of Bethlehem
has written a letter to Barbara Sturman, senior warden of Christ
Church, saying that "Bishop Dixon and Bishop Griswold have made an
unwise decision" in rejecting Fr. Edward's call to the parish.

In a letter dated May 2, the Evangelical Catholic bishop and former
Yale Divinity School professor told Sturman that he had written to the
Presiding Bishop "as strongly as I dare, urging him to put an end to
this matter, for your parish's sake and for the sake of our Church."

"Inclusivity is meant to work both ways, and I hope that you and your
rector-elect can soon be allowed to go about your business," he wrote.

Marshall urged Sturman to tell the Diocese [of Washington] that the
Bishop of Rhode Island, Geralyn Wolf had a very good working
relationship with parishes and clergy who do not support the ordination
of women, and that she might consult [them] about alternatives to their
present course of action.

"It would be a tragedy if this situation were to result in further
injuries to the unity of Christians," wrote Marshall.

A copy of Marshall's letter was sent to the Archbishop of Canterbury,
Dr. George Carey, the Primate of ECUSA, Frank Griswold and the Bishop
Suffragan of Washington, Jane Dixon.