Devotional - Worshipping Him

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Wed May 9 01:29:49 EDT 2001

DEVOTIONAL - WORSHIPPING HIM

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will
worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of
worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must
worship in spirit and in truth." - John 4:23-24

Canute was born in 994 in Denmark, the son of on King Sweyn. He became
a Christian at a young age and invaded England in 1014. He was crowned
King of the English, Danes, and Norwegians. Canute was a good king, but
he had courtiers who were afraid to mutter anything but flatteries to
him. It almost became a contest of which courtier could flatter the
king the most. In 1032, Canute was on the coast at Northhampton. He
learned that his flattering courtiers claimed he was "So great, he
could command the tides of the sea to go back".

Canute realized their flattery had gone too far. He commanded that his
throne be taken down to the seashore. He took a seat and ordered the
waves to stop. To no surprise, the waves continued to pound the beach
and began lapping his throne. Canute then said: "Let all men know how
empty and worthless is the power of kings. For there is none worthy of
the name but God, whom heaven, earth and sea obey"

Canute and his entourage then humbly walked back into town, they
entered the cathedral, the king removed his crown and they worshipped
the Lord.

Christ alone is worthy of our worship. Have you spending time
worshipping Him? Today in prayer, worship the Lord with gladness in
your heart.

"We are saved to worship God. All that Christ has done for us in the
past and all that He is doing now leads to this one end." - A.W. Tozer

God's Word: "Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with
joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we
are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture." - Psalm 100:2-3

By Peter Kennedy