Presiding Bishop Slams EWC for Fund-Appeal Tactics to Harass Dioceses

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Sat May 5 02:19:19 EDT 2001

PRESIDING BISHOP SLAMS EWC FOR FUND-APPEAL TACTICS TO HARASS ORTHODOX DIOCESES

By Rt. Rev. Frank Griswold Presiding Bishop

Dear Lyn Headly-Moore:

I am writing with regard to your letter of April 16 addressed to
friends of the Episcopal Women's Caucus soliciting funds to send women
priests into dioceses which in your perception have not experienced the
benefits of women in ordained ministry.  Such a step is directly
contrary to the resolutions of the General Convention and the House of
Bishops.

As well, it runs counter to the determination of the manner in which to
proceed delineated by the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church: a
way forward that is grounded in an appreciation of the gifts of
ordained women, a sensitivity to the pastoral realities of the dioceses
in question, and respect for their integrity.

I fear that the actions you propose can only have an overall negative
effect, including making the matter of the ordination of women being
considered in other parts of the Anglican Communion that much more
problematic.

I urge you, therefore, to reconsider your proposed action.  Inasmuch as
your letter has been broadly circulated, I feel that it is appropriate
that I make my response public as well.

Yours sincerely,

Frank T. Griswold Presiding Bishop and Primate