Devotional - His Grace

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Wed May 2 00:26:30 EDT 2001

Devotional - His Grace

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his
glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of
grace and truth." - John 1:14

Marquis de Lafayette was born on September 6, 1757, into a noted noble
family in Chavaniac, France. He served in the French army from 1771 to
1776. In 1777, he went to America and offered his services to Congress,
who appointed him a major general in the Continental Army and an aid to
General Washington. Following the war, he returned to France and then
in 1824 he revisited America. During the 1824 visit, an old soldier
went up to Lafayette and asked, "Do you remember me?"

"No," Lafayette said.

"Do you remember the frosts and snows of Valley Forge?" asked the
soldier. "I shall never forget them," answered Lafayette.

"One bitterly cold night when you were doing the rounds, you came upon
a sentry who was thinly clothed. He was slowly freezing to death. You
took his gun and said, 'Go to my hut. There you will find clothes, a
blanket and a fire. After warming yourself, bring the blanket to me.
Meanwhile I will keep guard for you.' When the soldier returned to you,
you cut the blanket in two pieces. One piece you kept. You gave the
other part to the sentry!"

Tears ran down the old soldier's cheeks, "General, here is that half of
the blanket. I am the sentry whose life you saved!"

The grace of our Lord is a caring, loving manner. Jesus not only has
given us saving grace, He also meets us where we are and answers our
needs. Do you find yourself desiring the grace of God? Today in prayer,
draw near to Christ, pray for your needs and know that He will answer
them in a loving manner.

"Jesus is God spelling Himself out in language that men can
understand." - S.D. Gordon

God's Word: "And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with
wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him." -  Luke 2:40

By Peter Kennedy