DEVOTIONAL - Loving Others

David Virtue DVirtue236 at AOL.COM
Fri May 26 00:28:37 EDT 2000

DEVOTIONAL - LOVING OTHERS

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am
only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." - 1 Corinthians 13:1

In June 1944, Stanley Manierre was a radio operator onboard an American
B-24 bomber. His plane was shot down over Saipan in the Pacific, and the
Japanese imprisoned him for 15 months.

During that time, he was treated harshly and he learned how to hate
watching his fellow prisoners suffer and die. But there was one Japanese
guard named Kanoh who was kind to the Americans. "Kanoh had chosen to love
his enemies.  He became the secret channel for getting much needed food and
medicine to the prisoners.  Kanoh laid his life on the line for us," said
Manierre.

After the war while leading a church youth group, Manierre came to a point
where he needed to rid himself of his hate. "I knew that I needed to be
forgiven in order to forgive them because I was harboring hatred and
speaking about love," he said.

The Lord led Stanley to pursue a theology degree at Andover Newton
Theological School. Then in 1954, he was able to do what he never thought
he could do, he returned to Japan as a missionary and served there for
twenty years. The Lord had freed him of his past hatred to love the
Japanese people.

The Lord can change our hate into love, but we must be willing to let Him
change us. Are you harboring hate or are you free to love others? Today in
prayer, thank Christ that He has forgiven you and He can free you to love
others for Him.

"A preacher is not so much a builder of sermons as he is a builder of
people; to build people into what God wants them to be, he must love them.
It is not enough to love to preach; we must love those to whom we preach.
Without love, preaching is just noise." - Roger Campbell

God's Word: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his
life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." - 1 John
3:16