Devotional - Celebrating God's Goodness

David Virtue DVirtue236 at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 23:25:46 EST 1999

Devotional - Celebrating God's Goodness

"But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have
vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the Lord." - Jonah 2:9

In November 1621, the Pilgrims celebrated the end of their first year in
the New World with a Thanksgiving feast. During that year, 66 of the 102
Pilgrims had died. The remaining 36 together with 90 Indians feasted and
thanked the Lord. The following is Edward Winslow's account of that event:
"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that
so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered
the fruit of our labors. The four in one day killed as much fowl as, with
a little help besides, served the company almost a week. At which time,
amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, Many of the Indians
coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest King Massasoit, with
some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they
went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and
bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it
be not always so plentiful as it was this time with us, yet by the goodness
of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our
plenty."

Thanksgiving celebrates God's goodness. It is a time we are to remember all
the things the Lord has blessed us. Are you celebrating the Lord's
goodness? Today in prayer, give thanks to the Lord for He is good and a
rich provider of our needs.

"Thus they gave thanks for their abundant food and taught us all the Gift
of Gratitude." - Katherine Nelson Davies

God's Word: "Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the
Most High," - Psalm 50:14